Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday at Hilton Head SC

This morning brought lots of grey clouds and 68 degrees, so my husband and I decided to go exploring. We went to the Sea Pines Preserve and looked at the fabulous homes and golf courses, saw some beautiful waterways and then found the Preserve.

John read we might find a gator or two, but of course I didn't pay any attention. I also at this time never gave snakes a thought either. So off we treked and took one of the easier trails. I thought this is great......nice paved bike trails and sidewalks. After all this was a very well off area of the Island. That trail ran out fast after the first turn and then turned into a normal pine forest type dirt road. Darn.....well no bugs so all was well.

John found the wooden walk way through the rice bogs and off we went across. We kept looking in the the water when we could see it and would stop and look. John was all happy to find turtles.....meanwhile I spotted eyes that spotted me!!!!! Yup....a gator! NO, wait, two of them......well I guess my shriek might have scared them as they backed up and

sunk into the mud. After standing there and looking I spotted a larger one. I gave John the camera as I was on the phone....LOL, not many bar areas here on the island so you talk when you can find the signals. LOL, wouldn't you know my batteries were dead! So I dug through my purse and found some more and then we were able to take the pictures. After this we continued the walk, but bugs were beating the bushes or whatever their communication system was "fresh meat"! So we hurried along and were at the last stop and the sign was all on snakes! Copper Heads, Ribbons, Black, among the few I remembered my husband reading.....you see I was on a dead fast walk to the parking lot! It was time to head home to the very safe condo. I think I will contain my exploring to shopping, my sister in law told me she found a clothing only Tuesday Morning store, that had shoes and more shoes....also my very favorite Skeechers.

In the middle picture you can see the one gator, in the bottom you can see the smaller one that came up along the larger behind him. Hugs, Marcia

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment